The Shower Cap Chronicles


Every lady has a few "secret" habits she doesn't want anyone to know about. For me, one of those habits is the use of my old lady shower cap. I occasionally use this cap when I need to jump in and out of the shower without the hassle of having to redo my hair. That old shower cap keeps the heat and humidity of the shower from messing up my do. On the dreadful occasions that I have to use it, I try to avoid letting my kids and ESPECIALLY my husband see me. But with three kids and a husband, it is nearly impossible to do anything in secret and so they usually catch me in the act.

Isaiah is known around this house as the one with a hilarious sense of humor and yesterday was no exception. He comes strutting out of the bathroom, with that big cheesy smile on his face, and says, "look at my hat, Mommy!" And there, on top of his head was my antebellum shower cap and I couldn't help but laugh out loud.

This morning, in light of all the storms, I thought about how I sometimes treat God just like my old shower cap. I put Him on when I don't want to be affected by things around me. After all, He is great at providing me all the protection I could ever need. And as Matthew and I stood praying at the back door last night as the wind whipped against our house, I knew I had to trust God to keep my family safe. But as I woke up this morning without a single scratch, I must admit that my first reaction was not to praise Him for His protection. No, I just went on with my morning, like it was by some happenstance that I had been protected.

King David says in Psalm 5:11-12, "..Let all those rejoice who put their trust in you: let them ever shout for joy, because you defend them; Let those also who love Your name be joyful in You. For you, O Lord, will bless the righteous; With favor you will surround him with a shield."

I never want to take the protection God has provided and promised for granted. I never want to treat Him like my old shower cap...

Comments

Popular Posts