6th Grade Curriculum Picks for 2020-2021




When we made the decision to homeschool our four boys for this upcoming school year, I spent more time than necessary researching. The first thing I knew I had to narrow down was the style or approach we would take. I started with a lean towards classical Christian education for many reasons, and we ultimately landed there, enrolling in Veritas Scholars Academy. A key component of any classical education is classical literature, which I was obviously SO excited about. As such, I want to start there.

As you can see from the beautiful stack of books in the picture above, (books can be beautiful, right?) we have chosen some really fun literature to explore. All of these books will foster analytical thinking and give rich opportunities to explore literary devices like irony, tone, and structure of texts. Additionally, I will be adding some shorter non-fiction/informational texts, but these will mostly connect to our other subjects. I will share throughout the year some of the creative ways we choose to study these works, but for the most part, I will be using traditional reading guides with questions ranging from basic comprehension to higher order evaluation.

Now for the other subjects: Each of my three older boys will have four subjects that are specific to their grade level. Those are literature, math, grammar/writing, and linguistics. Then they will have four subjects we all do together: Latin, Geography, History, and Bible. I will discuss our four "group" subjects in a separate post. 
For sixth grade math (actually ALL math), we will be using Saxon. I have always loved the scaffolded approach in Saxon math; there is consistent review, thorough introduction to new concepts, guided practice, and independent practice. We will be using Saxon 7/6, which is based on the Saxon specific placement test. *Note: Veritas gives a couple of options for math, but we felt Saxon was the best for our children's learning styles.

For grammar and writing, we will be using the Shurley Method curriculum. There are many great grammar curriculums on the market, but this one gets high marks from me because it teaches grammar through repetition and practice, using jingles to help students internalize the rules of the English language.

For linguistics, we will be using two separate curriculums. The first is the Institute for Excellence in Writing's Phonetic Zoo Level B. Often times in the traditional school setting phonics is used only in the lower elementary grades, but I knew my sixth grader needed more practice with spelling. The key to spelling is understanding phonetic word relationships!! The level B curriculum can be used with older students who may need more spelling reinforcement. We will also be using Vocabulary from Classical Roots Level A. The publisher for this material actually recommends that level A be used for 7th grade, but Veritas suggests this as a sixth grade material. However, Veritas does encourage their families to make curriculum decisions based on their individual student's needs, using their guides only as suggestions. Our sixth grader has a nice vocabulary, and I felt we could use this more advanced level with success. He will enjoy the challenge.

That's it for the separate subjects for sixth grade. If you are interested in learning more about classical education, you can read more here:

Comments

  1. Hello sister Valarie. I am a Pastor from Mumbai India. I am glad to stop by your profile on the blogger and the blog post. I am also blessed and feel privileged and honoured to get connected with you as well as know you who loves Jesus and about your interest in Education and home schooling your kids.Though not related to your post but yet it was interesting to go through your post on Curriculum for 6th grade. I liked the very title of your blg " Grace Revealed" which speaks of the christian values you cherish and practice in home schooling your kids. I love getting connected with the people of God around the globe to be encouraged strengthened and praying for one another. I have been in the Pastoral ministry for last 41yrs in this great city of Mumbai a city with a great contrast where richest of rich and the poorest of poor live. We reach out to the poorest of poor with the love of Christ to bring healing to the brokenhearted. We also encouage young and the adults from the west to come to Mumbai to work with us during their vacation time. We would love to have young people from your family, friends and church circle to come to MUMBAI to work with us during their vacation time. I am sure it will be a life changing experience for them. Looking forward to hear from you very soon. Gid's richest blessings on you your family and friends also wishing you and your family a blessed and a Christ centered rest of the year 2020. My email id is: dhwankhede(at)gmail(dot)com and my name is Diwakar Wankhede

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts